Awards can serve many functions for a chapter. Because many members volunteer their time to support the growth and functioning of a chapter, often without recognition or compensation, it is an appropriate gesture to publicly recognize their extra effort on the chapter’s behalf. Awards can range from small tokens to certificates, cash, scholarships, or a large award and is based on the financial status of the chapter and accompanying Board decision. Awards can be given at any time, such as at Board or Annual membership meetings, continuing education events, or a special Awards Ceremony.
To learn more about the types of awards and scholarships NJSOPHE offers, as well as to see a listing of past award and scholarship recipients, please click on the corresponding links below:
Awards: Winners are selected based on key criteria (and documentation). The following awards are offered every year. Read testimonials from our past winners here.
- President’s Award – bestowed upon an individual who has made extraordinary contributions to both the practice and profession of health education, through meritorious achievement in their work and through commitment to NJ SOPHE.
- Health Educator of the Year Award – awarded to a NJSOPHE member who has shown an active commitment to Health Education and the organization through demonstrated involvement in NJ SOPHE and excellence in the practice of Health Education. (Click here for the 2017 Health Educator of the Year Award Application)
- Louise Chut Award for Program Excellence – awarded to recognize outstanding contributions made by a health education project or program. (Click here for the Louise Chut Award Application)
- NJ SOPHE Trophy – created to recognize the volunteer efforts of a member who has “gone above and beyond” the call of duty for NJ SOPHE, who has dedicated countless hours toward the betterment of the organization, and who exemplifies commitment and loyalty to the profession. (Click here for the NJSOPHE Trophy Application)
- Outstanding Health Materials Award – NJ SOPHE will be offering an award for Outstanding Health Materials. This is a chance for NJ SOPHE members to be recognized for excellence in the creation of health education pieces, including print, multi-media, and training materials. (Click here for the 2017 Outstanding Health Materials Award)
Scholarships: The reviewers select winners annually for any or all of the following scholarships, as determined annually by the Executive Board. The winners are selected based on key criteria (and documentation) for each of the scholarship designations listed below.
- The Karen Denard Goldman Academic Scholarship ($500) – Academic excellence coupled with professional and HE projects experience. (Required for application: GPA, letters of reference, personal statement, work and project history) (Click here for the 2017 Karen Denard Goldman Academic Scholarship Application)
- The NJSOPHE Professional Development Continuing Education Scholarship (Provides up to $500 to cover registration fees for a professional conference) – Exemplary work and professional contribution, work recognized as innovative, timely to the profession and advancing practice. (Personal statement, detailed project/work overview, plan to present/publish/pursue project to another level, and references) (Click here for the 2017 Professional Development Scholarship Application)
- The Anna Skiff CHES Award (Covers registration costs for the CHES exam) – Evidence of the presence and application of the competencies of the profession. (Personal statement, references, background/work and project history) (Click here for The 2017 Anna Skiff CHES Award Scholarship Application)
- The Hardship Scholarship (Click here for the 2017 Hardship Scholarship Application)
The 2017 Scholarships and Awards will be announced August.
Deadlines for 2017 Applications: Friday, December 1, 2017.
All winners will be announced at the annual meeting in December.
In order to be eligible to receive an award or scholarship, the applicant must be a member of NJSOPHE.